Close this search box.

Canada Immigration FAQs

Answer: The eligibility requirements for immigrating to Canada vary depending on the immigration program you are applying for. Generally, you must meet certain criteria related to your education, work experience, language proficiency, and financial stability.

Answer: The five most common ways to immigrate to Canada are through the Express Entry program, the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), the Family Sponsorship program, the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Work Visa, and the Canadian Investor Immigration program.

Answer: The Express Entry program is an online system used by the Canadian government to manage applications from individuals seeking permanent residence. It is a points-based system that ranks candidates based on factors such as age, education, language proficiency, and work experience.

Suitable candidates who have the skills or relevant qualifications that the federal economic immigration programs are looking for will be allowed to live and work in Canada as skilled workers.

Answer: The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is a program that allows Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals who have the skills and experience needed to meet the labour market needs of their region for permanent residence in Canada. 

Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario are among the provinces that are using their respective immigration programs. Most of them require applicants to reside in the province where they have applied. Some may also require foreign applicants to have a job offer from a Canadian employer.

Answer: Yes, you can apply for permanent residence in Canada without a job offer through the Express Entry. This is also possible through PNP as it allows provinces and territories to select individuals who they believe will be successful in their region, even if they don’t have a job offer.

However, you will still need to demonstrate strong ties to the province or territory, such as a valid job offer, a study program, or a family connection. Hence, having a job offer may increase your chances of being selected for immigration.

Answer: The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a program that allows individuals who have gained skilled work experience in Canada to apply for permanent residence. To be eligible for the CEC, applicants must have at least one year of full-time Canadian work experience within the last three years. They must also have a language proficiency score of at least Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in English or French. Finally, they must have the intention of settling in Canada permanently.

Answer: The processing time for a permanent residence application varies depending on the immigration program and the complexity of your application. It can take anywhere from a few months to over a year.

Answer: Yes, most immigration programs require you to take an English or French language test to demonstrate your language proficiency. Your language ability will be assessed using recognized tests such as IELTS or CELPIP.

Answer: Yes, most immigration programs allow you to bring your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children with you to Canada. Dependent children include adopted children and natural children under the age of 22 who are not married or in a common-law relationship. You must provide proof of the relationship, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate. You must also provide financial support for them.

Answer: The amount of money you need to immigrate to Canada varies depending on the immigration program and the size of your family. In general, you will need to show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family for at least the first few months after you arrive in Canada.

You should also have additional funds to cover one-time expenses such as travel costs, medical costs, or the cost of a place to live. You may also need to provide proof of funds in the form of bank statements or other documents.

Answer: An LMIA is a document issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that allows Canadian employers to hire foreign workers for temporary or permanent positions if there are no qualified Canadians or permanent residents available to fill those jobs.

Answer: Canadian employers need to apply for an LMIA when they want to hire a foreign worker for a position that is not exempt from the LMIA requirement. They cannot legally hire a foreign worker until they have received an LMIA. The LMIA is a document that verifies that there is no Canadian citizen or permanent resident available to do the job. Employers must also prove that hiring a foreign worker will not have a negative impact on the Canadian labor market.

Answer: Canadian employers can apply for an LMIA online through the ESDC website. They will need to provide information about the job, wages and working conditions, and the efforts they have made to recruit Canadian workers.

The employer must also demonstrate that they are able to pay the foreign worker’s wages and working conditions that meet provincial standards. The employer will also need to pay the LMIA application fee. Once approved, the employer will receive a positive LMIA that they can provide to the foreign worker.

Answer: The processing time for an LMIA application varies depending on the type of application and the current processing times at ESDC. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months. 

Answer: No, a foreign worker cannot apply for an LMIA. It is the responsibility of the Canadian employer to apply for an LMIA on the worker’s behalf. However, the foreign worker may need to provide supporting documentation and information to the employer to help with the LMIA application.